Posted by Derek Sedillo on September 20, 2006 at 3:13 PM
I was planning to go over Kebler Pass this weekend and then down into the San Juans next week (possibly Silver Jack area). I will start out at the Bells Saturday which looks pretty good in terms of color. 2 things suggest looking for Kebler Pass alternatives:
1. Most recent reports: these show it has a good ways to go before all those green aspens really start changing color.
2. The weather: snow/rain over the next several days into the weekend. I don't know if my two wheel car will be good for going over Kebler pass in the snow. I could just keep going down the 133 from Carbondale toward Paonia. Then catch the 92 down to the 50 and off to the San Juans.
Any other ideas appreaciated.
Thanks,
Derek
Posted by Mel Ladewig on September 20, 2006 at 3:37 PM
Derek,
Kebler is one stop shy of being a paved road. Its not particularily steep and the road surface is pretty good, so unless there is a large amount of snow, you should be fine. Of course you should keep your own abilities in mind, and make the decision on your own, but I still think you'd be OK under most conditions.
I don't see any problem to the alternate routing that you've suggested, but you could also just continue out 133 from Paonia to 50 northwest of Montrose and head south from there to Ouray or Telluride. Of course if you're going to Lake City then you'll want to stay further east and 92 is a good option if Kebler is out.
Posted by Derek Sedillo on September 20, 2006 at 4:27 PM
Thanks Mel,
I know what you mean about the road. I drove it this past summer and wasn't bad at all. But snow tends to change things and I am new to the state. I have driven in snow before though. Just last weekend we were up in RMNP in the snow and I also drove the peak to peak drive while it was snowing. While the colors were great shooting in the snow was not the greatest. Hmm...
My other option is to shift my original departure time further out by a few days. I would have to get approval at work for that.
Discussion
2 replies1. Most recent reports: these show it has a good ways to go before all those green aspens really start changing color.
2. The weather: snow/rain over the next several days into the weekend. I don't know if my two wheel car will be good for going over Kebler pass in the snow. I could just keep going down the 133 from Carbondale toward Paonia. Then catch the 92 down to the 50 and off to the San Juans.
Any other ideas appreaciated.
Thanks,
Derek
Kebler is one stop shy of being a paved road. Its not particularily steep and the road surface is pretty good, so unless there is a large amount of snow, you should be fine. Of course you should keep your own abilities in mind, and make the decision on your own, but I still think you'd be OK under most conditions.
I don't see any problem to the alternate routing that you've suggested, but you could also just continue out 133 from Paonia to 50 northwest of Montrose and head south from there to Ouray or Telluride. Of course if you're going to Lake City then you'll want to stay further east and 92 is a good option if Kebler is out.
I know what you mean about the road. I drove it this past summer and wasn't bad at all. But snow tends to change things and I am new to the state. I have driven in snow before though. Just last weekend we were up in RMNP in the snow and I also drove the peak to peak drive while it was snowing. While the colors were great shooting in the snow was not the greatest. Hmm...
My other option is to shift my original departure time further out by a few days. I would have to get approval at work for that.