Posted by Les Barstow on November 21, 2008 at 3:08 PM
The wonders of Turkey Day are rolling around again, and that means I've got a long weekend to spend chasing scenery.
Only one problem - I'm not really sure where to head at this time of the year. So I'm looking for ideas. If you had a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to spend photographing at the end of November (in driving distance of Denver), where would you spend it?
Posted by Mel Ladewig on November 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM
I tend to agree. Moab, or Capitol Reef are probably the two closest points to reach. If you go beyond that to Zion for example, then 3 days doesn't give you much flexibility.
You might also look at the Cedar Mesa area or Natural Bridges, or just do some winter scouting closer to home.
Posted by Les Barstow on November 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM
I think if I go to Moab again I'm going to be forced to move there and become a cop or something...
My wife is missing red rocks again (it's been at least 6 weeks...), so Utah is a definite possibility. Of course, she's been angling for some New Mexico time, too, so it's not "set in stone".
Posted by Phillip Noll on November 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM
Be warned, while Moab is a good destination this time of year, you're not the only one who will be thinking of that either! Last time I went on Thanksgiving, my wife and I joined 20 people at Mesa Arch that morning.
If it's solitude you seek, I'd take Phillip's recommendations.
Posted by Les Barstow on November 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM
I think I was one of those people, Dave!
Cedar Mesa is still on my "To Do" list this year - I was snowed out in February when I tried it, so it's still a definite possibility.
Bisti had crossed my mind, too, but I'm not sure I've got enough time to do it justice after the drive - I'm certainly open to convincing on that. (It would be my first time there, so I'm guessing some orientation would be required...)
Posted by John Mumaw on November 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Normally, I would give a big 'thumbs up' to New Mexico or Cedar Mesa, but they really deserve more than the limited time you would have (2 days driving, 1 visiting?).
How about Colorado Nat'l. Monument/McInnis Canyons Nat'l. Conservation Area for a red rock fix?
If you decide on visiting the Bisti, I can help you get oriented.
Posted by Steven Peckham on November 21, 2008 at 9:26 PM
While the weather has been really good the past few weeks, the long range forecast models are indicating a change for the worse starting Thanksgiving and possibly into the weekend.
Whatever you are considering to do, I would keep an eye on the forecast for late next week.
Posted by Stan Rose on November 22, 2008 at 7:23 AM
I know where id be if i had the time off, in the San Juans watching mucho snow fly! SInce i have to stay close to home, im hoping for some snow by Friday, hope to catch some flying at the Garden.
Posted by Guy Schmickle on November 22, 2008 at 8:26 PM
You could also consider a shorter trip to the Sand Dunes (more shooting, less driving is always a good thing in my book). Catching a clearing winter storm there would be way cool. If it doesn't snow then you still have the usual array of possibilities.
I know I'm hoping for a good Thanksgiving weekend snowstorm in the San Juans. My shutter finger has been getting itchy lately!
Posted by Don George on November 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM
I'd second the Sand Dunes only because Moab will probably be crowded with photographers.
Discussion
11 repliesOnly one problem - I'm not really sure where to head at this time of the year. So I'm looking for ideas. If you had a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to spend photographing at the end of November (in driving distance of Denver), where would you spend it?
You might also look at the Cedar Mesa area or Natural Bridges, or just do some winter scouting closer to home.
My wife is missing red rocks again (it's been at least 6 weeks...), so Utah is a definite possibility. Of course, she's been angling for some New Mexico time, too, so it's not "set in stone".
Shiprock, Bisti Badlands, Chaco Canyon, Aztec Ruins, Mesa Verde.
If it's solitude you seek, I'd take Phillip's recommendations.
Cedar Mesa is still on my "To Do" list this year - I was snowed out in February when I tried it, so it's still a definite possibility.
Bisti had crossed my mind, too, but I'm not sure I've got enough time to do it justice after the drive - I'm certainly open to convincing on that. (It would be my first time there, so I'm guessing some orientation would be required...)
How about Colorado Nat'l. Monument/McInnis Canyons Nat'l. Conservation Area for a red rock fix?
If you decide on visiting the Bisti, I can help you get oriented.
While the weather has been really good the past few weeks, the long range forecast models are indicating a change for the worse starting Thanksgiving and possibly into the weekend.
Whatever you are considering to do, I would keep an eye on the forecast for late next week.
I know I'm hoping for a good Thanksgiving weekend snowstorm in the San Juans. My shutter finger has been getting itchy lately!