Posted by Lon Overacker on January 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM
.... will be making the trek to photogaph Horsetail falls again this year, including me. Just thought I would post this and let you know that I'm planning a 2-day trip Feb 20-22 and if anyone wants to meet up, that would be great.
My good friend from Arizona Kyle will be flying out and we will drive up on Friday and most likely be staying at the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. I thought about the heated tent cabins in Curry Village, but the difference between the two is only about $15 and I think I would prefer the nice warm bed and shower....
Of course snow-pack and weather conditions whether or not Horsetail falls will even be flowing and from the looks of current conditions and forecasts I would say this would not be a favorable year. However, there is ALWAYS something in Yosemite Valley and after my recent trip on this past Monday, the mosses along the Merced Canyon are nuclear! I may spend more time in the canyon than in the valley.
Anyway, if anyone is interested drop me a note. I don't know where I'll try Horsetail falls, but I'm pretty sure it won't be from the El Capitan picnic area; mostly likely just east of Cathedral beach.
Let me know if you think you'll make it up to Yosemite that weekend.
Lon
Posted by Derek Sedillo on January 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM
Cool Lon,
Maybe we'll have a little CANP get together if conditions look good. I have seen shots of the falls that time of the year and they look amazing.
Hopefully we'll get some more snow this month. The long range forecast is tracking a storm with the potential for snow by next Friday. I think between the next snow and this annual phenomenon at Horesetail Falls there will some good photo ops coming up soon.
Thanks for posting,
Derek
Posted by Paul Dileanis on January 31, 2009 at 12:34 AM
Lon,
Thanks for breaking the silence. I have been contemplating the Horsetail falls pilgrimage this year and have decided to try an overnighter to the Taft Point Overlook if conditions look favorable. I would probably make it a 2 day trip with the second night at the Glacier Point hut if it is available. Any hardy backcountry photographers with snow camping experience are welcome to join me. Snow shoes or x-country skis or maybe both depending on trail conditions. I might do a one day exploratory trip this week or next with the goal of scouting out this trail. I have not been there in the winter before. If that doesn't work out, I'll see you in the Valley.
Hey, this sounds good. I might be able to make it. I will let you all know as time gets closer.
Paul, Have we ever met? I will be at the Campbell's Farmares Market tomorrow (Sunday Feb 1). Its right in the downtown on Campbell Ave. from 9 am to 1 pm. It would be nice to meet.
Posted by Eric Good on February 8, 2009 at 1:15 AM
Man I'd love to make it up there for this event. If by chance all the stars align and I can get away for a few days during that time, I'll be sure to try to get in touch with you in order to meet up. Sounds like a fun time.
Posted by Derek Sedillo on February 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM
So who all is planning to make it this weekend?
I actually got some time off and will be heading up there tomorrow through the weekend. I'll be bringing my whole family (wife and three kiddos) up for some snow time. But I will also break away to do some photography.
I just spoke with the ranger and she said temps are already warming up quite a bit. And it is supposed be be warmer over the next couple of days. So based on that I am thinking about a couple of options compositonally.
1. Obviously Horsetail falls if the light is there
2. Merced stream and Valley shots
3. Redwood groves - Merced or Tuolumne. This area needs fresh snow to really work well
4. Some higher up locations = less melt off. The ranger was recomending the Badger Pass area.
In looking at the cams the Valley Floor snow will melt very quickly with all the direct sun today.
For higher up the ranger was recommending the Badger Pass area. I may take my kids up there anyway for sledding.
Derek
Posted by Lon Overacker on February 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM
I'll be leaving early Friday morning and hoping for optimum conditions Friday night for Horsetail falls.
As far as I know, Derek and Michael will be coming up. Michael just for the day Saturday. Also, Jason from SoCal might be coming up as well. I will also be meeting up with a local friend on Saturday as well.
The tentative plan if anyone wants to meet, is that I will try my best to be at the following location on Saturday morning between 9am-10am. The spot I'm thinking of is just east of Cathedral beach. Approx. .2 miles after the Cathedral Beach picnic area is a pullout on the left with several huge cedars? enough room for 6 or 8 cars I think. It's the area where there's a short, steep access down to the river where you have views of the Three Brothers and Cathedral Spires. It's also not a bad spot for Horsetail falls.
Of course everything depends on conditions and clouds and lighting may take me elsewhere, but I plan to be on the west end of the valley for the morning. Then, most likely take a drive in to Yosemite Village for lunch. And actually, on Friday, they are celebrating Ansel Adam's birthday (the 20th) at the AA Gallery. Might be fun to pop in to the gallery and perhaps grab some lunch at the deli.
If you think you might want to meet up, just drop me an email. I can give you my cell number. Coverage (AT&T) is better these days and I get coverage in the village as well as some other areas like along El Cap meadow.
Let me know if you'll be coming up.
I'm really looking forward to this trip, no matter the weather...
Discussion
6 repliesMy good friend from Arizona Kyle will be flying out and we will drive up on Friday and most likely be staying at the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. I thought about the heated tent cabins in Curry Village, but the difference between the two is only about $15 and I think I would prefer the nice warm bed and shower....
Of course snow-pack and weather conditions whether or not Horsetail falls will even be flowing and from the looks of current conditions and forecasts I would say this would not be a favorable year. However, there is ALWAYS something in Yosemite Valley and after my recent trip on this past Monday, the mosses along the Merced Canyon are nuclear! I may spend more time in the canyon than in the valley.
Anyway, if anyone is interested drop me a note. I don't know where I'll try Horsetail falls, but I'm pretty sure it won't be from the El Capitan picnic area; mostly likely just east of Cathedral beach.
Let me know if you think you'll make it up to Yosemite that weekend.
Lon
Maybe we'll have a little CANP get together if conditions look good. I have seen shots of the falls that time of the year and they look amazing.
Hopefully we'll get some more snow this month. The long range forecast is tracking a storm with the potential for snow by next Friday. I think between the next snow and this annual phenomenon at Horesetail Falls there will some good photo ops coming up soon.
Thanks for posting,
Derek
Thanks for breaking the silence. I have been contemplating the Horsetail falls pilgrimage this year and have decided to try an overnighter to the Taft Point Overlook if conditions look favorable. I would probably make it a 2 day trip with the second night at the Glacier Point hut if it is available. Any hardy backcountry photographers with snow camping experience are welcome to join me. Snow shoes or x-country skis or maybe both depending on trail conditions. I might do a one day exploratory trip this week or next with the goal of scouting out this trail. I have not been there in the winter before. If that doesn't work out, I'll see you in the Valley.
Paul
Paul, Have we ever met? I will be at the Campbell's Farmares Market tomorrow (Sunday Feb 1). Its right in the downtown on Campbell Ave. from 9 am to 1 pm. It would be nice to meet.
I actually got some time off and will be heading up there tomorrow through the weekend. I'll be bringing my whole family (wife and three kiddos) up for some snow time. But I will also break away to do some photography.
I just spoke with the ranger and she said temps are already warming up quite a bit. And it is supposed be be warmer over the next couple of days. So based on that I am thinking about a couple of options compositonally.
1. Obviously Horsetail falls if the light is there
2. Merced stream and Valley shots
3. Redwood groves - Merced or Tuolumne. This area needs fresh snow to really work well
4. Some higher up locations = less melt off. The ranger was recomending the Badger Pass area.
In looking at the cams the Valley Floor snow will melt very quickly with all the direct sun today.
For higher up the ranger was recommending the Badger Pass area. I may take my kids up there anyway for sledding.
Derek
As far as I know, Derek and Michael will be coming up. Michael just for the day Saturday. Also, Jason from SoCal might be coming up as well. I will also be meeting up with a local friend on Saturday as well.
The tentative plan if anyone wants to meet, is that I will try my best to be at the following location on Saturday morning between 9am-10am. The spot I'm thinking of is just east of Cathedral beach. Approx. .2 miles after the Cathedral Beach picnic area is a pullout on the left with several huge cedars? enough room for 6 or 8 cars I think. It's the area where there's a short, steep access down to the river where you have views of the Three Brothers and Cathedral Spires. It's also not a bad spot for Horsetail falls.
Of course everything depends on conditions and clouds and lighting may take me elsewhere, but I plan to be on the west end of the valley for the morning. Then, most likely take a drive in to Yosemite Village for lunch. And actually, on Friday, they are celebrating Ansel Adam's birthday (the 20th) at the AA Gallery. Might be fun to pop in to the gallery and perhaps grab some lunch at the deli.
If you think you might want to meet up, just drop me an email. I can give you my cell number. Coverage (AT&T) is better these days and I get coverage in the village as well as some other areas like along El Cap meadow.
Let me know if you'll be coming up.
I'm really looking forward to this trip, no matter the weather...
Lon