Nature Photographers Network
This is the preserved archive of the original Nature Photographers Network. The community continues at naturephotographers.network.

Denali Road Lottery

Discussion

11 replies
Posted by Hank Pennington on July 10, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Has anyone else noticed how late the road opening is this year? In years past we've been snowed out on earlier openings, so I gotta wonder about doing it a week later this year.

Any bets on road closure before the opening this year?
Posted by Ron Niebrugge on July 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM
We had such a fun, productive trip last year that we were going to definitely put for this year's lottery - that is until I saw the dates. Even when it is the weekend earlier, it often gets snowed out, this year I think the chances are very high.

In the early years of the drive in, they weren't so quick to close the road, and it was pretty neat being in there with snow on the ground. But I remember driving over Polychrome and being thankful I had 4 wheel drive - that road is a bit scary without 3 inches of snow on the ground! After that year I think that is the year the Park Service decided they better close the road if there is any threat of snow - can't blame them!

Are you going Hank?.
Posted by Hank Pennington on July 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM
We passed on the opportunity to go last year due to conflicts, and from the account of friends it was a good thing. Several years ago we hit it just right. I have set aside the time again this year if we're successful in the draw, but I'm not holding my breath that the road will even be open by then.
Posted by Jim DeWitt on July 13, 2009 at 2:45 AM
First snowfall has been getting later; a trend, definitely not every year. We're in the lottery...
Posted by Hank Pennington on July 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM
Hmmmmm. I'm seeing the potential for an Alaska NPN get-together come September. Anyone else interested in the potential?
Posted by Ron Niebrugge on July 15, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Unfortunately you missed a good one last year Hank - the mountain was out, some very colorful patches of fall color still remained, good bear activity, but the highlight was the lynx activity! It would have been fun to have run into you there.

I would be up for a get-together this, but I'm scheduled to head South by then so I'm going to miss out.
Posted by David Taylor on July 16, 2009 at 12:56 AM
I hope to be in the park in early September, as well as along the Denali Highway. If anyone else is up there around this time of year, it'd be great to have a meet up.
:toast:
Posted by Hank Pennington on July 16, 2009 at 9:38 AM
If we get drawn, I'll be there Dave!

In years past we have carpooled with friends, between us assembling enough passes for the whole 4 days. Not a lot of seats in any vehicle, but it sure works for coverage, as well as great company. I'll post our results and seats available after the draw.
Posted by David Taylor on July 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Sounds great Hank, hope to see you and some others there. If you have any room, I'd be happy to chip in :smile:
Posted by Hank Pennington on July 18, 2009 at 1:49 AM
While sitting and waiting for the fog to lift (no we didn't get out for our bear shoot), I talked it over with our traveling companion. Between us we were drawn for 3 of the 4 days, but a complication has emerged. His son and daughter-in-law want to come too, along with her mother. And another daughter-in-law wants to come, probably with her toddler.. It's sounding more like a much needed family gathering for them, even as the photography gets a lot more complicated. Odds are growing that my wife and I will give it a pass entirely this year, especially considering the late date of the road opening. None of the extra folks have bought plane tickets yet, so that could change in the next month.
Posted by R. Medina on July 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM
I'll be there with some friends. It would sure be great to meet some of you face to face.
Posted by Hank Pennington on September 15, 2009 at 10:51 AM
Best wishes to all that make the trip! It appears that against the odds, the snow is holding off to allow the drive.

We had to bow out of the trip with friends due to schedule conflicts, but will be thinking of you lucky dogs!

Send pictures!!!! :toast: