It looks like there is enough interest in organizing a float trip on the Buffalo River this year, so I'm starting a new thread to coordinate the logistics. Rod Kissinger has been kind enough to offer the use of his cabin as a staging area, along with two canoes. Thanks Rod! My thoughts are to make it an overnight trip, but could probably work out put-ins and take-outs for those wanting to make it a day trip. The middle to lower part might be best for those that are not particularly experienced paddlers. The weekend of the 14th or 21st would probably be best for the redbud and dogwood bloom. Since spring seems to be coming a little early this year, my guess is that the 14th would be best. I'm certainly open for other suggestions though...
We think the most beautiful part of the river is the float that starts at Ponca. But not sure how the water flow is for carrying camera gear down that part. (rough?) Either weekend is good for us. We will need to rent a canoe though, so need to know ahead of time in order to reserve. We vote for the overnight trip....
Yes, Dottie, that's probably the prettiest section of the river, but is also more challenging. Whatever part we decide on, I would highly recommend a good dry bag or Pelican case to carry your equipment in. Right now I'm thinking Spring Creek or hwy. 14 bridge to Buffalo Point or Rush, but am open to other ideas. Since Rod has a couple of canoes, maybe you could borrow one of his?
Great that you can make it Tom! For those of you who may not know, Tom literally wrote the book on canoeing and kayaking the Ozarks. Bonus! His book is available in your favorite bookstore.
I think we should go ahead and start planning for the weekend of April 14th. We'll just play the river level by ear, and decide on where to float when the time comes. The Richland Creek/Buffalo area is under a flash flood watch until Wednesday morning. TWC predicts 3-6 inches, with locally heavier amounts possible.
Posted by Wayne Rhodus on March 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Boy this trip sounds like a lot of fun, unfortunately I won't be able to join you all. Have a great time, be safe and of course ... share your photos!
Discussion
8 repliesHere's another from April 18th, 2010
I think we should go ahead and start planning for the weekend of April 14th. We'll just play the river level by ear, and decide on where to float when the time comes. The Richland Creek/Buffalo area is under a flash flood watch until Wednesday morning. TWC predicts 3-6 inches, with locally heavier amounts possible.
Thanks for the invite!